rss
twitter
  •  

Motorcyclist wearing barbecue on motorway fined for careless driving

| Posted in Funny News |

0

Thanks for Retuning!

Police investigated after his antics were photographed from a passing car.

The picture later found its way on to the internet and was widely circulated in emails.

Mr Wiles, a New Zealander who lives in the Australian city of Melbourne, admitted the charge when he appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

Paul McClure, his defence lawyer, said Mr Wiles’s excuse was “lack of thought processes” at the time and poverty.

“It turned out the barbecue was a dud and did not work, and that’s probably why it was at the side of the road,” Mr McClure said.

“This is stupid behaviour and nobody should do it.”

Mr McClure said his client had been approached by a barbecue company to appear in an advertisement after his photograph was published but he had declined to do so.

Lionel Winton-Smith, the presiding magistrate, said he could not recall a case like it in his years on the bench.

“I’m trying to think of a word to describe it,” he said.

“Ridiculous?” suggested Mr McClure.

“Ridiculous. That will do,” agreed the magistrate.

He fined Mr Wiles A$800 (£458) and disqualified him from driving for one month.

Outside the court, Mr Wiles told The Age newspaper that he hoped his experience would encourage other people to be more responsible on the roads.

“I felt it was right to accept some responsibility,” he said.

Asked if he now owned a barbecue, he said: “I’m better off without one.”

Post a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.